Monday, April 23, 2007

Turkey hunting

Spent the lst three days Turkey hunting, well really turkey guiding, for my son. He did not fill his tag but we did have fun, seen lots of birds and call in a couple good size toms. Just not close enough. No shots were taken and so no wounded birds either.

Had a strange thing happen though, on Saturday morning we went out to our blind in the pre-morning darkness to find the blind was not there. It was gone, out of sight, only our chairs remained. I found it about 100 yds. away in a swamp. Wind must have caught it and sent it flying. This put a damper on hunting for awhile but we found a different area to set up in and kept hunting.

The best thing, as always, was spending time with my son, we don't get time alone much anymore and hunting is our "guy time" together.

Also note that the Hunter Education class I teach starts this evening. small turn out this year only six signed up. I think caused by a combination of low number of kid of that age and the fact that the schools are teaching it as a summer school course. The schools would not even let me put out a flier to the classes, they said it was a conflict of interest. The only conflict was that they get paid to teach the class and they did not want me getting any of there students. Maybe the day of the volunteer instructor is coming to an end.

No comments: